Wednesday, March 11, 2020

He Is Faithful

Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments. — Deuteronomy 7:9

Today after my cardio workout at the Y, we had a nutrition instructor come from UCSD to talk about healthy eating.

Since I was the only one who came to our class today, I had two personal trainers plus two nutrition instructors all to myself!

It was great.

She explained that a plant-based diet, which many doctors and nutritionists suggest, does not mean vegetarian.

Rather, it means balancing the protien from meat with lots of veggies and fruits.

She also explained that cutting back on sugar as a breast cancer survivor is not as important as cutting back on calories.

It's the excess weight and extra pounds that are likely to cause the cancer to come back.

And for those chemo patients who find it hard to eat anything, whatever they enjoy eating and can keep down is what they should eat.

Since I never had problems with nausea and was able to eat throughout my treatment, it was more a matter of eating healthy.

She also stressed the importance of exercise, which my instructors were in complete agreement with.

I explained that after my chemo sessions I would go for a mile walk, and although I lost energy during that time, I felt that the exercise helped me stay in good shape and keep up the energy I needed to continue to work.

She told us that studies have shown that exercising through chemo does help the body reduce nausea and also helps the chemicals to move through the body more quickly, prompting faster recovery.

It was a very encouraging session, and I returned to work afterward feeling very supported.

God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story