Saturday, March 16, 2019

Words of Encouragement


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  — Psalm 23:1, 4



Sometimes when we go through difficult times, God is preparing us so that we can encourage others who are going through similar situations in the future. So many people have reached out to me during this cancer diagnosis, and I am thankful, even through the tears.


Ann, one of my many thoughtful college classmates, reached out to me in January to let me know she was praying for me and had gone through the same thing last year. Even down to the same HER2+ diagnosis.

Here's what she emailed to tell me:
I am so sorry for your cancer diagnosis. Two years ago, I was in your shoes, right down to the HER2 positive cancer! One day you are going along just fine, and the next day your life takes an abrupt turn. Please remember this is not a death sentence, just a turn in the road. I had chemo first, then a lumpectomy, then radiation. I finished in June of this year. My cancer is gone. I tell you all of this to hopefully encourage you that while it will be a hard journey, it will not last forever and you will be ok! God got me through the ordeal and gave me the strength to make it all the way through. I am sure the same will be true for you.
I would be honored if I can help you in any way. If you would like to call me and talk, cry or listen, I am here for you. I look forward to hugging you as a fellow cancer survivor at our 40th reunion!
Please know I will be praying for you and am here if you need someone who knows what you are going through.
What a beautiful testimony to God's power and strength to see us through even the darkest times. He goes with us, even to places we would rather not have to journey. And what comforting words from a friend across the country who is covering me with prayer.

This photo shows Abby celebrating her climb to the top of Potato Chip Rock. Today I am celebrating Ann's difficult climb through chemo and radiation. God gave her the strength to travel through the valley and come out cancer free.

God is with me, I lack nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story